The Sultanstrail is under development. We can't do that all by ourselves and are happy to receive help of individuals, tourism offices, local governments, volunteers and Ministries of Tourism. We have walked the whole route for ourselves but realised on the way that there are parts of the route could do with some some improvement. We would also like to receive suggestions.
The route from Vienna to Istanbul (Google) from 2009 can be found at: http://www.trackr.nl/user/sedatcakir
The present route passes the following places:
- Austria: The gate of Vienna, Simmering, Purbach, Donnerskirchen.
- Hongary: Sopron, Köszeg, Kesthely, Szigetvár, Pecs, Mohács, Udvar.
- Croatia: Draz, Zmajevac, Dvorak Tikves, Zlatna Greda, Bilje, Osijek, Klisa, Bobota, Vukovar, Sotin, Opatovac, Mohovo, Ilok, Backa Palanka
- Serbia: Apatin, Novi Sad, Belgrade, Oresac, Smederevo, Velika Plana, Markovac, Jagodina, Paracin, Deligrad, Nis, Niska Banja, Ponor, Pirot, Dmitrovgrad.
- Bulgaria: Kalotina, Dragoman, Sofia, Vitosha gebergte, Samokov, Rila-gebergte (incl. Rila Klooster), Velingrad, Smoljan, Ardino, Kardzjali, Svilengrad.
- Turkey: Kapıkule, Kemalköy, Karabulut, Sarayakpınar, (Sırpsındığı), Avarız, Edirne, Hıdırağa, Ortakça, Kavaklı, Karayusuf, Süloğlu,Büyük Gerdelli, Dolhan, Paşayeri, Koyunbaba, Kırklareli, Kızılcıkdere, Üsküpdere, Karıncak, Kaynarca, Pınarhisar, Erenler, Poyralı, Doğanca, Develi, Vize, Okçular, Evrenli, Çakıllı, Kavacık, Saray, Küçük Yoncalı, Safaalan, Binkılıç, Aydınlar, Gümüşpınar, İhsaniye, Akalan, Dağyenice, Boyalık, Dursunköy,Sazlıbosna, Şamlar, Kayabaşı en Eyüp Sultan in Istanbul (final destination fo the Sultans Trail).
There are bike maps from the Donau route from Vienna over Bratislava, Novi Sad and Belgrado to Smederevo available through www.danube-info.org.
In the outdoor shop Stenata in the center of Sofia (5 Miladinovi str.) there are maps for sale of the three national parks of Bulgaria.